Headgear.gif (23024 bytes)

Fieldcaps (Feldmütze)

Mountain cap (Bergmütze)

Originally inspired by the cap used by the WWI mountain troops, the Bergmütze was one of "the" symbols of the Gebirgstruppen. The Bergmütze was made of feldgrau basic cloth. The oblong top was tapered backwards. The two lateral parts of the body were 9.5 cm high in the front, 9 cm high on the sides, and 8 cm high at the back. A 2.5 cm wide stiffening pad made of feldgrau twill with horsehair filling had to be sewn inside the front lining to prevent the cap from folding at the front. This stiffener was introduced by an order (HV 36, No. 190) dated 11 February 1936 and was abolished during the war.

Heer_Bergmutze.jpg (27211 bytes)

Officer bergmütze with dark green T-shape insignia

The folded flaps and method of buttoning were the same as with the M.42 Feldmütze. The two buttons were made of smooth grey or brown stone, but were later replaced with two 12 mm feldgrau pebbled buttons (aluminum for officers, gold colored for generals). The buttons were set on the right flap end, 4 cm away from the edge, and the buttonholes 1.5 cm away form the left flap end. The lining was grey and had a grey leather or imitation leather sweatband. A soft leather or composition visor was covered with feldgrau cloth, measured 27 cm long and 5 cm wide in the front, and attached at a 20 degree angle. An order (HV 38B, No. 298) dated 17 August 1938 required that it be reinforced with a ventilation hole at each side postioned 12.5 cm back from the front seam, and 1 cm below the crown.

Piping for officers (again, aluminum coloured for company and field grades; gold coloured for generals) to be worn around the crown was prescribed by an order (HV 42B, No. 768) dated 3 October 1942.

On 11 February 1936 by order HV 36, No. 190, the national emblem (Hoheitszeichen) was oredered to be worn. Made of machine-woven material (called BeVo by collectors) this was in the shape of a "T". The Edelweiß badge was worn on the left side of the Bergmütze following an introductory order (HV 39B, No. 196) dated 2 May 1939. The Edelweiß became the symbol of the proud Gebirgstruppen. Custom made Bergmützen were more elegantly made, often of tricot of a lighter shade and a visor slightly longer and attached at a more obtuse angle.

 

Heer_Bergmutze_b.jpg (27458 bytes)

EM bergmütze with field-gray T-shape insignia

A white cotton camouflage cover was used for winter field service. it was constructed in two parts, each 26 cm long and 24 cm wide, sewn together with their rounded sides to form a coif, and included the visor. It was fastened by an elastic or string in the lower seam.

By the way, the Bergmütze is, by regulations, to be worn 1cm (one finger's width) above the right ear, 3cm (3 finger's width) above the left ear and 1cm above the eyebrow.

 

Back_wh.gif (8132 bytes) Menu_wh.gif (7796 bytes) Next_wh.gif (13076 bytes)