Saint Bavo's Cathedral Ghent
Sint-Baafskathedraal Gent © www.lukasweb.be-
Art in Flanders vzw, foto Hugo Maertens
The imposing building we see now
is the result of a labour of love which took centuries to complete.
The diocese of Ghent was created by the Papal Bull "Super Universitas"
issued by Pope Paul IV on the 12th of May 1559.
Previously this territory formed part
of the dioceses of Cambrai, Tournai and Utrecht.
In the 18th century, the cathedral had a carillon with 39 bells.
Today, the tower contains only 3 bells.