HTML Validator 0.98 is the first Web Extension version. It is a
complete rewrite of the code.
The extension works now differently:
- There is a new Developer tools tab, Html Validator.
- The validation happens only when the "Developer
Tools" is open.
- The extension uses a new version of Tidy 5 compiled
from C to
Some features from the 0.97 are still missing. See below.
!!! Any remark, help is welcome !!!
Please log bugs/enhacement requests: here
Practically 80-90% of the original extension works. Here are the differences:
||Old Firefox Extension
||Html Validator 0.97
|Browser version||Firefox <= 56||Firefox >= 57||Chrome >= 36|
|Validation icon in the toolbar
"Developer Tools" is open (Webextension limitation)
|Validation in the "View source"
||Not possible (Webextension limitation)
|Validation in the "Developer tools"
|Clicking on the icon open HTML Validator
||Yes - Open View source
||Not possible (Webextension limitation)
Enhancement request to open a Devtools tab
via an API (see Mozilla bug 1310037)
|No ER (Todo).
||Validates HTML 4.0.1 only
|Compilation of the C code
||Compiled natively for each platform
with Emscripten. Platform independent.
|Validate the HTML coming from the server
||Not possible (Firefox limitation). (see
Mozilla bug 1361121)
|Validate frames, iframes||Yes||Not possible (Firefox limitation). (see
Mozilla bug 1361121)|
Currently, it validates the main page
(for a full list look here)
Old Roadmap 0.97
I really need to make a new Roadmap since HTML is evolving and I do not
know how the extension would cope with it.
lot of the point of 0.8x became a reality and the adoption by the
users was very successfull. A lot more that what I hoped...
0.9x, I think mostly that it will be close from impossible to make such
extension work like nowadays for HTML 5 ... This is mostly due to the size and
complexity of the new validation technique that W3c HTML
group is putting in place for HTML 5. But who knows :-) I am sure it is
possible to find a solution !
A deep thought should be done in the extension, in the way it should
evolve for 0.9x version. I think mostly about this:
work with the source code in subversion only from Souceforge to allow
other people to get more involved seen the current complexity.
- discuss about the HTML 5 validation and see how it would be possible
to use this in the extension
I got a dilemn. The extension is far to be completed and I still want
to add new features. But having the extension moving too fast did not
allow people to translate it. And it seems to be a real need.
First, if you have other idea to improve the extension or want to help
me to do one of the point below, you are welcome to contribute. If you
want to develop some code or write a translation, it is better to
contact me prior to do it to avoid double work. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You can already see some features implemented in the screenshots of the future version
So, after some discussion, I decided to maintain 2 versions:
1. a translatable version,
be stable with no user interface changes so that people that want to
translate the extension can do it easily
2. and a development version
will add all the new windows, buttons I would like to see
The current state is the version 0.70 that will split in 2 branches.
What does it mean:
- if you are a translator, the version 0.7x is for you. It will be
maintained, stable. And the user interface will not change.
read this, if you
want to translate the extension.
- if you are more interested on new features or want to help me to add
the new features, the version 0.8x will
be for you. You can get the source code here:
The features I would like to see in version 0.8x.
1. Make a batch validation utility
- I would like then when seeing a page. Beeing able to
validate all the pages linked to that page recursively.
- It will allow the validation of a whole web site in
- It will also have the advantages of finding the
- the function to find the links based on the
source is written (ok)
- the functions to manage several threads to validate
page in parallel is written too (ok)
- the class XmlHttpRequest will allow to load several
in parallel in background
- still need to write an algorithm to add the found
a list of unique links (todo)
- an user interface for the startup and the
the result. (todo)
2. Integrate with OpenSP/OpenJade to have the same
than W3c validator
It is the opensource SGML parser used in most application and it seems
too the W3c Validator.
- Have the same errors than the
- Give the opportunity to mix the result of tidy and
openjade. The 2 programs are complementary:
- OpenJade is better in validating XHTML, or other XML DTDs. (like SVG)
- Tidy is better is accessibility, cleanup, and attribute value check.
- to do this, I think that the HTML page need to be
- with the DTD definition written at the top
point to a local file. It means that the DTDs will probably needed to
be included with the extension.
- then run openjade on it
- and display the result in Firefox. The error list
should become enough generic to switch from Tidy to OpenJade
- I did some basic test, and it seems it will work. The
thing is that it is a lot of work.
- Write a script to take all the help and
from the files of validator.w3c.org (the source is opensource).
would like to have exactly the same errors and explanation.
3. Better list of errors, divided in columns and
- The current list of errors can not be classified. It
be better to be able to order the error by type/line/messages and so
on. It would be also easier to read.
- Tidy works in 2 phases. So, the errors are
completely classified by line number.
4. Collaborative website.
- I would like than when seeing a particular error,
below the help. That there is a button "Collaborate..". This button
will sent the browser to a collaborative website, where people could
discuss the different strategies to avoid this particular
- Have a Wiki type of solution that everybody could
- And a discussion forum for each error where people
- And samples where people could explain how they fixed
- shared CVS
- cleanup the code
- comment all correctly
- validation in background