Other Belgian medals instituted during the Reign of King Baudouin I
The Royal Donation Fund is an autonomous public society which manages the domains that were donated to the Kingdom of Belgium by King Leopold II in 1903. Those that had rendered good and loyal services to the cause of this institute were awarded this commemorative anniversary medal which was instituted on 21 December 1953.
Intended for award in the "next" war, this medal was instituted on 3 April 1954. The criteria for the award (either to individuals or to units) would allow for this decoration to be bestowed for hostilities in foreign theatres of operations as well but so far no such awards have been noted. The obverse of the cross shows the Belgian Lion whereas the reverse has the national coat of arms in its central medallion. A palm without royal cypher has been foreseen in case of a mention in despatches and also bars bearing either the year or the theatre of operations of the armed conflict have been instituted. The small lion device in the picture seems to be added by an enterprising manufacturer but is not official. Different manufacturing types exist as can be seen from the size of the central medallion on the crosses below.
Instituted on 17 November 1956, this bronze gilt medal served to reward native mothers (of Belgian Congo, Ruanda, Burundi origins) that have distinguished themselves in honourably rearing numerous offspring (min. 7 children). The reverse of the medal is blank.
This medal was instituted in three classes (gilt, silvered and bronze medals) on 8 August 1958 to honour independent agriculturers and artisans, living in Belgian Congo, Ruanda or Burundi, who distinguished themselves by exceptional results or by a sustained activity and perseverance (35, 25 or 15 years uninterrupted professional activity). A predominantly red ribbon was used to denote the artisanal award, the mainly green ribbon indicates the agricultural award.
Awarded to serving or former military personnel for loyal and good services to the armed forces between 18 December 1909 and 18 February 1934, this bronze medal was only instituted on 17 February 1962.
Awarded to all members of all branches of the Belgian Armed Forces for exemplary conduct and in recognition of occasional exceptional performance of duty. The criteria for award of this medal include productivity, quality of service, initiative, discipline, moral values, social awareness, physical condition. This medal was instituted on 18 April 1988 and holders of the Military Decoration or the Civil Decoration cannot be awarded this medal for the same services. The reverse of the medal is plain.
This medal occasionally appears with a clasp but information received from the Belgian Army indicates this is an unofficial addition - no bars for this medal have been officially instituted. However, these bars are sometimes encountered, especially one that commemorates naval participation in the Gulf War.
By Royal Decree of 23 February 2005 a "Merit Medal" was created, identical in appearance to the Medal of Military Merit which remains in existance, for award to civilians in the Defense Department and to military or civilian foreigners who distinguished themselves when working with the Belgian Defence Ministry.
Awarded to active members of the Belgian armed forces in recognition of services rendered during a long period and in difficult circumstances. Instituted on 18 April 1988, this medal has a plain reverse.
to Other Belgian Medals
to Medals' Corner Main Page
Copyright Hendrik Meersschaert 1998,2003 ©