Scores - More info
Parasol BBWV 2005.22
Tussen buien door BBWV 2005.18
Do you like to play some little easy piano piece when you're hiding for the heat of the sun in summertime or when you see it's not raining any more at a gloomy winter afternoon?
I like to write some little easy piano piece when I'm hinding for the heat of the sun in summertime or when I see it's not raining any more at a gloomy winter afternoon.
Toi Toi BBWV 2001.26
De Draad van Ariadne BBWV 2001.27
* Both pieces are written for Elke Daelman at the request of her teacher Claude Coppens. Toi Toi was first performed at the final exam of Elke Daelman, for which is was intended, at the conservatory of Ghent on June 4th 2003. De Draad van Ariadne has already been performed by Elke Daelman at the concerthall "De Bijloke" in Ghent on April 24th 2002. Their order of programmation between Liszt and Shostakovich is a correct indication of its technical level for the performer. Both pieces have a duration of about ten minutes. The title Toi Toi is the wish for luck that artists are giving each other before a performance, believing that saying "good luck" should bring bad luck.
* Beide werken zijn op vraag van Claude Coppens gevraagd voor Elke Daelman.Toi Toi kreeg zoals bedoeld zijn creatie op het eindexamen van Elke Daelman op 4 juni 2003 in de concertzaal van het conservatorium van Gent. De Draad van Ariadne was voordien gecreëerd door Elke Daelman in "De Bijloke" in Gent op 24 april 2002.
Los Caprichos BBWV 1992.11
* Written at the request of Yvar Mikhashoff for his festival in London, dedicated to Luk Vaes who gave the first performance at the Almeidafestival London on July 12th 1992. The work consists of little pieces, each one linked to a picture of Los Capricos of Goya, wonderful expressions of the dilemma between reason and imagination. The pieces vary from easy to very difficult.
* Geschreven op vraag van Yvar Mikhashoff voor Luk Vaes, door deze gecreëerd op het Almeidafestival in Londen op 12 juli 1992. Het werk bestaat uit korte stukjes, gaande van zeer moeilijk tot redelijk gemakkelijk, verbonden met etsen uit Los Capricos van Goya.
Sonatine académique BBWV 2001.31
has been written for and dedicated to Claude Coppens, for the doctor-honoris-causa festivities at the University Ghent. The title refers in a friendly ironical way to that occasion, and to the Sonatine bureaucratique of Erik Satie, a piece that Claude Coppens interpretes in a sublime way. This sonatine académique is a rather difficult work ending with a fugue in high spirits.
Ochtendgym BBWV 2001.21
has been written for and dedicated to Daan Vandewalle. This also is a difficult piece quite near to Satie, including comments in the score. The title refers to the old radio programming. After World War II most radio stations broadcasted gymnastics in the early morning.
HSI BBWV 2001.18
Confucius and Bach. This is one of the many little pieces for a special occasion, in this case being a wedding.
Far and Near BBWV 2003.07
has been written as thanks to Marvin Rosen who offered me the opportunity to introduce me for more than two hours to the american listeners of his radio Clasdis. It is a meditative piece with a sad undertone because of the depressing political situation of that time (March 2003).
Antonio Eduardo en Tervuren BBWV 2003.11
is a piece written for the pianist Antonio Eduardo from Bresil, who was so kind to give a home-concert. It is a short piece, not too difficult. In my aesthetics, the pieces written for certain occasions of a nearly private character, have the same weight as official great commissions.
Kalpa BBWV 2003.13
is very closely related to Antonio Eduardo en Tervuren. One of my oldest friends, Philippe Debroey, was at that concert and we wondered how long we knew each other. We agreed that it was a very long time indeed, and Kalpa means in buddhist terms a very long period. This short piece is rather easy.
Equinox BBWV 2003.22
also is a rather easy piece for piano. The same can be said of Weegschaal BBWV 2003.26. Both pieces are written without any external need.
Little Spots on the Earth BBWV 2003.09
is a collection of 6 places on the earth (Lake Titicaca, Novosibirsk, Ghent, Himalaya, Fuji and Spitsbergen) as seen by extra-terrestrials. These are very easy pieces for young players.
Short Lived BBWV 1984.32
Many will enjoy the new edition of this major work from 1984.
Musica Neandertalensis BBWV 1991.02
Four friendly pieces to revitalize our dinosaural instincts.
Non Giusto BBWV 2001.23
A little easy piece in two movements.
Pièce frite à droite et à gauche BBWV1998.01
This piece for piano four hands has been written on the request of Steven and Stijn Kolacny, and it is in honour of Erik Satie. Satie has been a source of enjoyment and a subject of admiration since the seventies, when I made an extended series on his music for the Flemish radio. Quite often, my music had been compared to it. That may be so, but I am not Satie, I do not wish any kind of imitation, even not this one. My artistic congeniality may be apparent, but my views and especially my aims -if any- are quite different. This piece is proof. It does not bring Satie in mind. It is a piece of mine, willingly put forward as an hommage, an omaggio, a reverence, a gesture expressing my deepest sympathy and highest admiration for him. But as we share the same sense of shameless independency, after all my piece brings the image of Satie in mind.
It is not an easy piece. Steven and Stijn Kolacny are an excellent duo. Neither of the parts, nor the interplay between them, is to play at first sight. Moreover, a more than average musical intelligence is needed to make the constant e natural in the e moll major titillating as it has to be.
Dhammapadadansen BBWV 2002.02bis
Dhammapada is a kitchen opera on Pali texts from the Dhammapada. I consider this opera as one of my most important works. It happened that the performers not only were singers, but also instrumentalists (albeit on a lower level of perfection). Beauty and spirituality are not things to knot one's brows. They give joy and happiness. I wanted to accentuate that point by inserting within the opera little pieces, played by the actors-singers. These easy pieces will be published by Lantro, to begin with this one for piano four-hands.
VIOOL - VIOLIN
Fijnbesnaarde Streken BBWV 2003.10
very first violin pieces
In a String
De toutes mes cordes
Toca la cuerda sensible
* These pieces are intended for violinists who have just started, offering them material for giving recitals from the first lesson on. The accompaniment requires some skill. This is not a method for learning to play the violin. The pieces however are methodically "in a string", beginning with just one open string and finishing with the four fingers on the four strings - always in first position.
* Dit zijn kleine voordrachtstukjes voor beginnende violisten vanaf hun eerste les. De begeleiding vraagt een gevorderde pianist. Het is niet bedoeld als een studiemethode, ook al zijn de nummers geordend, te beginnen met het gebruik van de losse snaar en eindigend met de vier vingers op de vier snaren, maar altijd nog in eerste positie.
Open Strings :
1. De aanhouder wint (The Go-getter)
3. Grote treden. (Leaps.)
4. De dagen worden korter (Days are Closing In)
5. Happy Birthday (Happy Birthday)
6. Met twee. (Pas de Deux)
First Finger :
7. In hoge versnelling (High Speed)
8. Dageraad (Daybreak)
9. Tae Kwon Do
(First and) Second Finger :
12. Vragen en blijven vragen (Pestering)
13. De wijk (The Quarter)
(First, Second and) Third Finger :
15. Feest (Party)
16. Heel ver weg (Far Away)
17. Lied (Song)
18. De file lost op (The Queue disappears)
All Fingers :
20. Hymne (Hymn)
22. Wisselvallig weer (Unstable Weather)
23. Oom Tom (Uncle Tom)
24. Op weg naar Paganini (Towards Paganini)
Promenade in Peccadië BBWV 1997.16
A difficult and brillant piece for violin solo, written for Paul Klinck.
VIOOL & PIANO - VIOLIN & PIANO
Begegnung in Wien BBWV 2003.02
is dedicated to Inge Jacobsen, an Austrian violin teacher who was Concertmeister during the recording of my orchestral song cycles. The whole recording session at the Bösendorfer Sahl in Vienna was a nice experience, and we had time to visit the wonderful buildings of Hundertwasser too. It is a simple, cheerful easy piece in the typical Austrian "Gemütlichkeit", in a cosy atmosphere.
180 BBWV 2001.24
Violin and Piano. Not too difficult piece for students.
ALTVIOOL - VIOLA
Prefiks BBWV 1962.04
An early short work for viola sola.
Prin Viola, intelegem viola BBWV 2001.07
The title means : by viola, I understand viola.
ALTVIOOL & PIANO - VIOLA & PIANO
Altvioolsonate BBWV 1989.08
One of the major works of Boudewijn Buckinx.
CELLO & PIANO
In de Buurt van Neptunus BBWV 1987.15
* was first performed at "De Singel" Antwerp, by René Berman and Kees Wieringa, on March 3rd 1991. It is a subtle piece of some ten minutes, once described as a synthesis between the nineteenth century and Webern and Cage. The title "in the neighbourhood of Neptune" emphesizes the rather loose and poetic form of the piece. The difficulty is not of a technical but rather of an interpretative nature.
Op 3 maart 1992 gecreëerd in De Singel door René Berman en Kees Wieringa. Het is subtiele muziek, omschreven als een synthese van de 19de eeuw met Webern en Cage.
Ex Cello de Coelo BBWV 1995.10
* was first performed at the Hall Georges Enescu in Bucarest on November 11th 1995 by Serban Nichifor and Liana Alexandra, by whom it was ordered. It starts passionate and proceeds toward unearthy objectivity. This process takes a bit more than ten minutes.
Gecreëerd in de zaal Georges Enescu in Boekarest door Serban Nichifor en Liana Alexandra, voor wie het werd geschreven.
PIANO TRIO (vln - vcl - pno)
Trio #1 BBWV 1989.21
* (first performed at "De Singel" March 3rd 1991 by Igor Unterberg, Peter van der Weeral and Mireille Gleizes)
* (creatie "De Singel" 3 maart 1991 door Igor Unterberg, Peter van der Weeral and Mireille Gleizes)
Trio #2 BBWV 1990.03
* (first performed at the University of Louvain March 6th 1990 by Wim De Moor, Steven Caeyers and Bart Zwaan)
* (creatie Universiteit Leuven op 6 maart 1990 door Wim De Moor, Steven Caeyers en Bart Zwaan)
Trio #3 BBWV 1999.09
(first performed at De Rode Pomp, Ghent, by the Trio Coriolanus with Sophie Causanchi, Alexander Bazel and Geert Callaert)
* (creatie De Rode Pomp, Gent, door het Trio Coriolanus : Sophie Causanchi, Alexander Bazel en Geert Callaert)
Trio #4 BBWV 1999.15
* (first performed at Cultureel Centrum Lier on March 3rd 2000 by the Rachmaninov Trio with Tamara Ignatieva, Peter Heiremans and Evgeni Sinaiski)
* (creatie Cultureel Centrum Lier op 3 maart 2000 door het Rachmaninov Trio : Tamara Ignatieva, Peter Heiremans en Evgeni Sinaiski)
Piano Quartet #2, BBWV 2001.29
is a short (about 10 minutes) but tense and rather difficult work. It is a quite different mood than the first quartet or the long other work for piano quartet Blauwe Galm.
2 VIOLEN & ALTVIOOL - 2 VIOLINS & VIOLA
The Chinese Year of the Rabbitt BBWV 1999.03
Gecreëerd in de concerten "Music under Construction" in New York op 5 juni 1999 door Theresa Alomon, Jorge Avila en Peter Bucknell.
STRIJKKWARTET - STRING QUARTET
String Quartet #4 BBWV 1987.11
Gecreëerd door het Arriaga-Quartet in De Singel, Antwerpen, op 6 maart 1988. Ongeveer 12 minuten.
CLARINET & PIANO
Bucolica I BBWV 2002.16
FLUIT & PIANO - FLUTE & PIANO
Korte Liedjes duren niet lang (Short Songs do not Last long) BBWV 1987.14
* First performed by Eric Dequeeker and Iris Deblaere at the concert hall of the conservatory of Ghent Februaru 11th 1988. This piece with his sublety and poetry belongs to what has been called the new simplicity.
* Creatie door Eric Dequeeker en Iris Deblaere in de concertzaal van het conservatorium van Gent op 11 februari 1988. Het is een subtiel stuk.
Vóór het Vertrek(op vakantie) (Song of departure - on holidays) BBWV 1984.21
* First perfomed by Jan Raes and Koen Kessels at the Royal Theatre Antwerp, January 19th 1986. It is a short but playful piece, ironically referring to the melodramatic chant de départ . It is rather easy.
* Gecreëerd door Jan Raes en Koen Kessels in de Schouwburg, Antwerpen, op 19 januari 1986. De titel van het korte, speelse stukje ironiseert de oude melodramatische chant de départ.
TUBA & CELESTA
Ozewiezewoze BBWV 2004.01
A piece built on the complimentary sound qualities of tuba and celesta.
However, the part of the celesta may be realized as well on a piano.
Oevertuurtje en slot BBWV 1961.14
Not too difficult duet for two trumpets.
Bucolica I BBWV 2002.16 clarinet & piano
Bucolica II BBWV 2002.17 clarinet & viola
* The title of this series is nothing more than an allusion to Vergils famous Bucolica, pastoral poems. All the pieces have a tendency towards silence, distance, peaceful resignation. The first piece is very demanding, the second one is rather difficult because of the subtilities.
* De titel van de stukken verwijst los naar Vergilius' Bucolica, pastorale gedichten. Zij neigen allemaal naar stilte, afstand, kalmte. Bucolica I is moeilijk, Bucolica II is moeilijk door de subtiliteit.
Bucolica IV BBWV 2002.21 oboe, violin & viola
Bucolica XIV BBWV 2003.32 flute & clarinet.
We all know that a peasant's life is not a pleasant life, nevertheless there is an old tradition of unrealistic views on rural and country environments in which they are seen as a lost paradise difficult to regain. The names of Vergilius (who wrote Bucolica), Rousseau, Thoreau and the structuralists come to mind. In music we know Telemann, Beethoven, Dvorak, to name only a few. There are also musical characteristics attributed to that pastoral atmosphere, as flowing lines, light accents at long distances, even the key of F major, the oboe and so on. The series is more about this mental construction of a lost paradise than a straight idyllic or bucolic music.
Variations 2 on Nothing BBWV 1992.22 flute, cello & piano
* Written for and first performed by the Phoenix Trio at the city hall of Brussels November 30th 1992. The parts are not very easy, but the ensemble playing does not give trouble, because it was written for an ensemble with a Belgian flutist, a Canadian pianist and an English cellist. Duration about a quarter of an hour.
* Geschreven voor en eerst uitgevoerd door het Phoenix Trio op het Stadhuis Brussel, op 30 november 1992. De partijen zijn niet gemakkelijk, maar het samenspel is eenvoudig gehouden.
Trifoon BBWV 2002.06 Clarinet, cello & piano
Written for Stefan Meylaers
Nazomer BBWV 1988.14 Flute, Oboe, Double bass, Piano
A friendly quartet, about which commentary notes have been published in Aria van de diepe Noot.
Jarchas BBWV 2000.17
written for Reintje Nuitten. Three easy short songs for mezzosoprano and two violoncello's. The texts are old Spanish love songs, dating long before the reconquista and therefore with strong arabic influences :
¿ Qué faré, mamma ?
Meu al-habib est ad jana.
¿ Qué haré, madre ?
Mi amado está a la puerta.
¡ Mamma, ayy habibi !
el collo albo,
e boquella hamrellah.
[ Madre, ¡ qué amigo !
Su guedejuela es rubia
el cuello blanco,
y la boquita coloradita.]
Garid vos, ¡ ay yermanellas !
¿ com'contenir el mio male ?
Sin el habib non vivreyo :
¿ ad ob l'irey demandare ?
[ Decidme, ay hermanitas,
¿ cómo contener mi mal ?
Sin el amado no viviré :
¿ adónde iré a buscarlo ?]
Vaise mio corachón de mib.
¡ Ya Rab !, ¿ si me tornarad ?
Tan mal me dóled li-l-habib :
enfermo yed, ¿ cuánd sanarad ?
[ Vase mi corazón de mí.
¡ Ay, Dios !, ¿ acaso tornará ?
Tanto me duele por el amado :
enfermo está, ¿ cuándo sanará ?
Am Meere BBWV 1992.15
Choir (SATB) Songs on texts by Heinrich Heine.