interview Alex vs. JeF
Alex vs JeF
- Dj Name : Alex vs JeF
- Name :Alexandre & JeF
- Date of Birth : 30/07/1980
- Style : Minimal tech house / electro minimal / electro tech
- E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website : www.afterclub.be
- Favourite Clubs : Fabric (London) , Panorama bar (Berlin), DC10 (Ibiza)Cocoon club (Frankfurt)
- Favourite meal: Steak Ďn French fries !!!
- Favourite Holiday Destination : Ibiza / Berlin
- Alex began at a very young age in the early 90ís by going to rave parties and buying his first records. . The taste of mixing got to him almost instantly. At the begining, he played different styles like techno, hardcore and house. He won the axiomeís dj contest in 1999 and got his own monthly radio show with dj HS. Since he continues to experiment in many styles in the electronic music, in which he mixed his own personal touch
- JeF, an authentic party animal, decided to buy his first records in Ď99. In this period, his Ďhousyí style allowed him to play at many student parties and bars. He continued playing until 2003, but after moving to Brussels, he decided to put the mixing on the backburner.
- In 2007, Alex and Jef themselves decided to combine their talents and became a real dj duo. They received the opportunity to play at some events and clubs very quickly, like Pulse Factory, Mosa Club, Rockrill, Barcode, Ibiza Roots Festival, Pearl, Belgian stage @ Nature One (Germany)
∑ How did you start spinning/dj-ing?
We were both djís on our own turf,
and we decided to join forces, so we could offer to the public the same
beautiful sounds that can be found in the most trendy places in Europe
(Berlin, Frankfurt, London, Ibiza,Ö)
Alex, an electro/techno dj, and JeF, who preferred tech house Minimal sounds, formed a dj duo, bringing both of their unique styles into one booming musicstyle.
∑ Which djís/producers are your big examples or influenced your style and Music?
JeF : in the beginning, I was
mostly influenced by artists like Josh Wink, Richie Hawtin and many
house djís from Chicago and the American west coast. I remember an
incredible dj set from Ricardo Villalobos at Fabric London in 2003. The
minimal sounds were a new love story for me. Some time later, after some
visits to DC10 in Ibiza, artists like Loco Dice and Luciano defined my
style more clearly.
Alex : I was immediately submerged in the ę underground Ľ environment, where music is more of an experiment, rather than entertainment. Subsequently, Iíve always had a taste for dark and mental music, of which my first influences were Jeff Mills, Manu le Malin and Dave Clarke.
∑ Which is your best memory in your dj career till now? Which party (parties) or places you will never forget?
We recall many marvellous
parties like last December at Pulse Factory for the Afterclub Party. We
made the warm up downstairs and many friends came earlier to support us.
After 3 records, the dance floor was crowded with an amazing atmosphere!
We hadnít expected such a big crowd!
We love parties where we can play what we want, and the crowd shows you that they love the things you play!
∑ Which is your worst memory in your dj career?
Certain parties where some people ask you to play something you donít have in your repertoire, or if the crowd doesnít react to your music the way youíd like them to! Fortunately, such parties are very rare!
∑ What more would you like to realise in your dj career and what are the plans for the future?
Play in Germany in places like Panorama Bar, Watergate or Cocoon club. Maybe itís a dream but according to us, playing at Time warp is a must for a dj.
In order to evolve in a positive way, weíre going to launch a production with a friend, and of course weíll keep you posted on the process!
Which tracks are your all-time favourites? Can you give us your personal
Lemon 8 : Model 8
Derrick May : string of life
Kaskade: itís you itís me
Jam & Spoon - Odyssey To Anyoona
Total confusion - A homeboy, a hippie & funki dredd
terrorist Ė Standind strong
∑ And what is your current top 5 for the moment?
Kabale und Liebe & Daniel Sanchez : Mumbling Yeah (Loco Dice Remix) (Remote Area)
Joke : backroom (white)
Schneider, Galuzzi : Albertino (Cadenza)
SIS : La Garua (Cecile)
Popof : stereos & such
Gaiser: Wet contents
Dominik Eulberg: Libellen wellen
Matt john: Olga dancekowski
Adam Beyer: Swedish Silver
Red Robin & Jacob Hilden: Tails Ep
∑ When you would be at a deserted uninhabited island with only one track, which track would that be?
Maybe Rolando: Jaguar because it
represents many things for us.
But I have a question for you: is there a turntable on that island??? (lol)
∑ On Friday 14th of March youíre coming to Avelgem to play in Belfunk for the first time @ Coco and Tom Dť Noís Birthday Edition! What do you like about this party concept? And what can we expect from Alex and Jef that evening?
For us, Belfunk really means a lot. Itís an honour to be able to play for your birthday.
Belfunk is a type of place we would really like to play at : thereís a good crowd, and the atmosphere is great!
Be prepared for a dynamic dj set,
based on German sounds. Weíve got a big selection of surprises set up
for you, so you can expect a mix of tech house and electro minimal,
which will ensure a maximum of ambiance on the dancefloor!
And also, donít forget : the ambiance isnít only on the dancefloor, but also behind the turntables!
Thank you Alex and Jef for this interview and Iíll see you the 14th of March @ Belfunk for an unforgettable night!
Get a free taste of Alex vs. JeF in advance !!