A. Old cues with registered trademarks:
vintage billiard cues is generally difficult. Indeed, most of them never
bore inscriptions or lost them during their use or repair. In addition
they sometimes look quite similar.
1. La ROYALE .
the logo of the 'La Royale' and the advertisement published in the Belgian
newspaper 'Le Billard Amateur' No. 22 of January 1908.
More details are given in Sections J. 1 and G. a.
La VICTORIEUSE [ca 1920].
The advertisement comes from page 15 of the French newspaper 'Le Billard
Sportif' No. 16 of 1923.
3. La TECHNIQUE .
The butt-end of the cue bears three billiard balls one of which being red and a logo composed of two wings with the letters LL inside them (this motive is also stamped on the shaft)
Below, a signed 'La Technique' bearing a German decal (Billard Braun, Saarbrücken) on the side facing the logo.
4. La St-MICHEL [before 1940].
This 'bottle' shaped cue was one of the florets of the famous Belgian firm Van Laere, which was founded in 1906 and ceased its activities in 1990. The St-Michel déposée registered trademark is engraved on the butt and the shaft.
The UNIVERSAL [before 1907].
together with an explanatory drawing taken from the German newspaper 'Das Billard' of February 1907.
These were probably built by Hiolle. Indeed, a Hiolle decal (**) has already been seen on another copy of the first and the second butt. As far as the third one is concerned, the floral motive of its dark points is the same as that of another Hiolle from the collection. Note that a new model with weight regulator, registered 'Universelle' and made by Hiolle, is mentioned in the French Gobin Frère's catalogue of 1912.
6. The MONARCH [before 1940].
This cue of variable weight and equilibrium point, signed Monarch (see Section L), was created and manufactured by Brunswick (France).
It is a '4-piece' one. Its
butt contains 2 cavities, one located in the back part and the other one
in the fore part, in which wooden or metal cylinders of different weights
may be inserted. Its shaft is provided with a ring.
Proust (France) pursued the making of this cue after the closing of the Brunswick company.
Here is probably an unsigned copy of it.
Notice that Castor (France) produced a similar model provided with a rubber bumper signed 'Queue Brunswick'.
.7. The GALLIA [ca 1900].
registered '4-point' bevelled cue was manufactured by the Société
française de matériel et d'accessoires de billard, located
at Clichy (Seine, France). More
than 320,000 copies of it were sold by the Maison française
de la Compagnie Brunswick-Balke-Collender of Paris yearly in
the early 1900s. Various handles, weights, ferrule diameters and decoration
levels were available.
is situated at the back of the red decal.
8. La REFORM [between 1884 and 1913].
contains a weight distribution system made of a metal threaded rod for ballasting with nuts and short pipes.
Below, another view (without short pipe) and an excerpt of a Schröder & Kartzke advertisement (Billard-Welt, 1, p.15, 1913)
DRGM stands for Deutches
of the Schröder & Kartzke catalogue of Section F. Lists, miscellaneous.
9. The St. MARTIN [1900 or before]
Below, an advertisement from the Munich branch of the St. Martin-Palisson billiard firm (Paris),
page 22 of the German newspaper 'Internationale Billard-Zeitung' No. 3 published in 1900. The St. Martin cue and its rubber butt-end are already mentioned there. Here is its model.
It is a '2-piece' one. The butt has 4 points and is signed St. MARTIN PARIS PATENT. Its black rubber bumper bears the inscriptions QUEUE St. MARTIN and QUEUE St. MARTIN PATENT.
shaft is provided with a wooden screw. The
collar (diameter D = 20 mm), ferrule (D = 11.5 mm) and rosette are in
ivory. The shaft and the fore-arm of the butt are made of ash and the
butt-end (D = 35 mm) probably of pale palissandre. The St. Martin shown
above is 140 cm long and weighs 450g.