The Bóndagarðurin (farm
house), the former Bishop's residence, has been in the hands of the same
family (Patursson) for 17 generations, since
1550 (!) and includes the Roykstovan, an ancient feast hall dating back
to about 1100. It is the historical and cultural centre of the Føroyar.
The Ólavskirkjan, built in 1110 and was the offical
cathedral in Føroyar during the Middle Ages; recently excavated
and restored in the 60's.
The Magnuskatedralurin was built by Bishop Erlendur around
1300. It is not known whether it has ever been completed, though it has
probably been used up to the Reformation. Damaged by an avalanche in 1772.
Under repair (not from the avalanche!) while we were there.