irst, let's analyze the original picture. I think many parts of the game use sprites. On this title
screen, logo letters are made of vertically expanded sprites (they are 24 pixels wide),
and the Earth is probably also made of two sprites (as it is 21 pixels high). I don't
know what stars are made of, but if I had to do it, I would simply use high resolution
mode or full multicolor mode and plot them where they need to appear. Let's take that for
granted. I have noticed that stars never appear on the same horizontal row as the copyright
text. There must be a split there that falls back to character mode (even standard
character mode, probably). During the game, the top part of the screen that displays
scores is also probably in character mode.
Now let's have a look at the changes I have made. I decided that it would not be easy
to get a bigger logo just by using sprites, so I designed it to use color character mode
instead. It uses up 60 characters (less than the original R-Type logo).
The other text parts also use a custom character set. The program needs several splits to
display the logo and the other text lines. Of course, there won't be any stars to the left
and to the right of the logo.
As for the Earth, it is 2 sprite large and 2 sprite tall (thus using twice as much
sprites as the original one) but as it never appears at the same time as enemies, it
shouldn't matter. To prevent stars from appearing in the dark part of the planet, black should
be used as a third color to fill the left part of the planet.