Brussels Air Museum Restoration Society (BAMRS)
     
     

The books written by our members
Over the years, some of our volunteers have written and published books on topics that have a special interest for them. Those books are the result of many years of research and allows you to discover not so well known (or unknown) subjects. Here's a preview:

Brussels Air Museum Restoration Society projects

Blériot XI "Olieslagers"

The best known Blériot XI user in Belgium is, without question, Jan Olieslagers. He flew with many variation of the Blériot XI during the pre-war period, period during which he will take part in many meetings and will establish many records.


Voisin "de Caters" (1909)

The first flight in Belgium took place in November 1908, the plane was piloted by Baron Pierre de Caters. He also was the first pilot to fly in Africa (December 1909) and India (December 1910). De Caters was also the first to receive a Belgian pilot licence in December 1909.


Tipsy "Trainer"

Evolution of the pre-war BC, followed, the Belfair won the world record on long distance flight for aircraft of less than 500 Kg with 945 km in 1950 and 2632 km in 1955. Two Belfair survived and are now being restored to static condition.


A B-25 back in Belgium

You have today the opportunity to take an active part in the growth of Air Heritage in Belgium. A group of individuals lead by the Brussels Air Museum Foundation have acquired a North American B-25J Mitchell to be preserved in Belgium. With your help, this airplane will be transported in Belgium, displayed and restored as a memorial.


Percival "Gull"

One of the only two survivors in the world, Percival "Gull" G-ACGR was originally ordered by Sir Philip Sassoon, at the time Under-Secretary of State for Air of the United Kingdom.


 De Havilland DH-89 "Dragon Rapide"

Built at the end 1939 for the RAF (who called DH-89 "Dominie"), this DH-89 served various private owners before being donated to the Museum in 1973.


Supermarine Spitfire XIV

In September 1997, to celebrate the restoration of the Spitfire XIV, we displayed it against the background of the "Cinquantenaire". Work on this aircraft started in 1977.


Douglas B-26 "Invader"

Build towards the end of World War II, this B-26 "Invader" (factory n° 28044, serial 44-34765) was never to participate in any conflict. It stayed for some years in the open at Deurne before being donated to the museum in March 1976.


De Havilland DH-98 "Mosquito" NF-30

RK952 was sold to Belgium on October 23, 1951.It receives number MB-24 ND-N with the Belgian Air Force and was the last Mosquito delivered to Belgium. It was put at the retirement on October 17, 1956 at Beauvechain.


Fieseler Fi-156 "Storch"

The Storch (Stork) was designed in 1935, did his first flight in 1936 and proved to be one of the best A.O.P. communications aircraft used in the past war. KR+QX landed at Äkesholm ( in the south of Sweden) and later served in the Swedish Air force under the code FV-3822. After many vicissitudes, it entered the museum in a sorry state.


Miles Magister

The Magister was the first monoplane trainer adopted by the la R.A.F. According to the information obtained from the Historical Branch-R.A.F. London, the Miles Magister of the museum, offered to Wing Cdr Donnet, DFC, had been delivered the 3-10-1946 at the FAé, and was used at the technical school of Saffrenberg for ground instruction.


Aviatik C.1

In 1975, Pierre Cryns discovered, amongst the treasures of the Army museum, the remains of an aircraft unique in the world: an Aviatik C-1.Result of long research, here is the history of this wreck through the documents and witnesses of the time.


Triplan Battaille

Built and breveted in 1911 by César Battaille, inventor and industrial living at Basècles (Hainaut). In 1972, the family Battaille gave the remains of the machine at the Air and Space section of the Royal Army museum of Brussels.


Fairchild C-119 "Flying Boxcar"

This particular C-119 has been built by Kaiser (Fairchild sub-contractor) and wear fabrication number 272. It was delivered to the FAé in february 1960, registered CP-46 and coded OT-CEH. Its dismantling and transport to the Air museum, all but easy, has been performed by a small benevolent team.


KZ-III

On display since its donation to the museum, this particular aircraft has been dismantled and stored a few years ago.In 1998 we were asked to put the aircraft back in a display condition.


T6 Harvard

In 1992, contacts were made between the Air Museum and the Museum of Praha and concretised by the exchange of an ex-Belgian Air Force Gloster Meteor Mk8 with an Mig 15. Agreements were then made for a second exchange, this time an Harvard T6 had to be exchanged for a Yak 11.


Caudron G.III

Ce Caudron G.III, immatriculé 2531, provient du musée de l'Air de Paris et était équipé à son arrivée d'un moteur Walter de 100 CV (Tchéc.). Un moteur Anzani Ion étant disponible pour installation, il fut décidé en 1999 de le substituer au moteur Walter.


Brussels Air museum Museum's aeroplanes

Hawker "Hurricane"

This Hurricane, disarmed, served as " pickup " aircraft within the Metropolitan Communication Squadron based at Hendon in 1944- 45.


Miles M.38 "Messenger"

The "Messenger" is an evolution of the M.28 developed in 1941 to fulfil the role of side-by-side trainer and hack aircraft. G-AKIS was build in 1947 at Newtownards in Northern Ireland. It received number 6725 and was one of the last Messenger to be built.

Aeroplanes of interest

The de Havilland "Hornet & Sea Hornet"

The following pages are nothing more than a resume of the information I gathered over the years on the De Havilland “Hornet/Sea Hornet” and, more precisely, its construction method.