The Storch (Stork) was designed in 1935,
did his first flight in 1936 and proved to be one of the best
A.O.P. communications aircraft used in the past war.
Outstanding characteristic of the Storch
is its ability in a light wind to land in any sort of space about
50 ft. square and also to more or less hover, its stalling speed
being about 20 m.p.h. or less.
Between 1937 and 1945, the Luftwaffe put
into service more than 2900 Storch. Storches were to be used in
every theatre of the war as gun spotters, light transports, and
for air ambulance work.
During WWII, the Fi-156 was produced in
Germany and in occupied countries. It was built at the MRAZ factory,
in Tchecoslovakia, and in France in the Morane-Saulnier factory
of Puteaux. After the liberation deliveries continued of two versions,
the MS-500 with the Argus in-line, and the MS-502 with a Salmson
The most famous Storch mission was the
"rescue" of Mussolini in 1943 from a tiny rock-strewn plateau
high in the Apennines Mountains. It's a Storch that was the last
aircraft to leave Berlin, surrounded by the Soviet army at the
end of the war.
The Storch was used as personal transport
by high ranking officials from both sides like Field-marshal Rommel,
during the African campaign, or British prime minister Winston
Churchill during its visit to the Normandy in 1944.
History of Werke n°5503
The Museum's Storch
has been built in 1941 at Kassel, Werke Number 5503.
received the Luftwaffe registration KR+QZ.
Its history (via Barry C. Rosch et
Bo Widfeldt) between construction date and the 4/4/45, is the
test the 9th January 1942.
landing next to Wjasma, Russia, 19th January 1943 because of
bad weather, dammaged to 15%.
- Assigned to28./Fl.Verb.G.
The 4th April 1945,
three Fieseler Storch coded GA+TY, BM+PL and KR+QX landed at Äkesholm
(east of Ystad, in the south of Sweden).
were part of a group of aircraft that, starting from Königsberg
(Fischhausen)? Via Bornholm (Denmark), were relocated on an airfield
not far of Berlin. Because of a heavy fog on the Bornholm area,
they get lost and entered Sweden airspace.
The three planes
will rejoin Malmö the 6th of April, then Ronneby the 26th to be
stocked along with ten other Fieseler Storch till 1948. In 1948,
KR+QX and other Fieseler Storch were restored to flying condition
and served the Swedish Air Force under the denomination S-14b.
KR+QX was recorded
in the Swedish Air force under the code FV-3822.
Sold later in Austria,
it was re-registered OE-ADT.
After many vicissitudes,
it entered the museum in a sorry state.
At the museum
Since its arrival,
the fuselage has been completely refurbished by the various teams
of benevolent that worked on the airplane.
Along the years,
it was completely dismantled down to the primary structure of
welded steel tubes. This structure had to be cleaned, treated
and painted before the appliance, on strategic area, of the fabric
tape that would allow the fabric covering application and the
fixture of the many Plexiglas of the cockpit area.
The rudder, fin
and tail plane were repaired and fabric covered. The engine was
completely refurbished as the seats, cabin floor and the hundreds
of small components used in the construction of a Storch.
Add to that the time
consuming task of building from scratch the missing machine gun
ring and mechanism.
As we had no pictures
of the aircraft during its operational live, we painted the fuselage
in a standard camouflage scheme more than certainly used during
its flying career in the Luftwaffe.
Once the wings
will be finished, it will rejoin the small collection of WWII
BAMF project for the
restoration of the original wings
The original German-built wood wings still exist
but were heavily damaged: one of the main beam had been sawed,
the leading and trailing edges were crunched and all the metallic
components (steering, string…) heavily corroded.
We have a pair of French-built wood wings, but a common disease of
the wood built components of the era affects those: the crystallization
of the casein glue. This crystallization means that the wings
fall in pieces once the fabric covering is removed.
lot of work had already been done on the German-built wings, but
the number of man-hours needed to finish the work was still very
important, meaning that it would have been be some years before
the work was done.
BAMF contributed to accelerate the work by providing the funds
needed to outsource all the woodwork:
- The Ets
Poncelet, well known for its production of unique airworthy
airscrew, restored the two wings
the controls surfaces are currently being refurbished by Firmin
Henrard, a member of the Vintage
still had to prepare all the metallic components (commands, strings,
fuel tank, …) an exhaustive list of the woodwork to be carried
on and the preparation of all the needed documents, drawings and
finished wings are now being finished with the resinstallation
of the various components.